Fire Destroys Charleston House–No Injuries

K-DOCK 92.9

A house in Charleston was declared a total loss when a fire consumed the structure yesterday. The Charleston Fire Department responded to the fire, next to the Charleston Fire Station at 92340 Cape Arago Highway. The fire was in the attic space of the manufactured home. The cause of the house fire has been determined to be from a grass fire around the front of the house that burned up to the house and ignited the corrugated fiberglass siding on the front porch.

Officials determined the fire then burned up the fiberglass siding at a fast rate and entered the attic space, advancing into the insulation. Due to the enclosed space in the attic, the only way to access the fire was to remove the ceiling throughout the home. The home received extensive water damage but little fire and smoke damage. The loss was estimated at $35,000. Charleston Fire was assisted by North Bend and Coos Bay Fire Departments and other agencies. The Red Cross assisted the home owner and occupant Ray Crooks.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 and is filed under Local News.