Crews Extinguish Fire At Fred Meyer Store

No one was injured when smoke was detected at a grocery store in Coos Bay. The Fred Meyer store is open for business after the Coos Bay Fire Department responded late on the night of November 20th to a report of smoke in the store. Store employees noticed the odor of smoke that smelled like overheated wiring. Staff and firefighters found the source of the smoke in the mechanical room that houses the heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment. After clearing the room and smoke in nearby areas, an investigation found that one of the HVAC appliances had failed, which caused the overheating. Damage was contained to the appliances and duct work and Fred Meyer store officials indicated that this event will not impact store hours, business, or operations.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 22nd, 2013 and is filed under Local News.