Empire Apartment Fire Caused by Cooking Fire


A cooking fire caused damage to an apartment complex in Empire yesterday afternoon. The fire started in an upstairs unit at 245 Schoneman. The apartment building housed 8 units. Firefighters completed a search of the building to ensure there were no occupants. One unit was destroyed by the fire, one unit had moderate heat and smoke damage, two units suffered from water damage, and four units were not damaged.  The fire originated in an upstairs kitchen of the structure and was brought under control within 25 minutes of arrival.The Coos Bay Fire Department estimates the fire damage to the structure to be $300,000 and an additional $20,000 to the contents of the apartments. The structure was insured. No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported. The Coos Bay Fire Department was assisted on scene by Coos Bay Police Department, North Bend Fire Department, Charleston Fire Department, Bay Cities Ambulance, Coos Bay/North Bend Water Board, Pacific Power, and American Red Cross.

This entry was posted on Monday, December 10th, 2018 and is filed under Local News.