Fire at Tioga Building

The Coos Bay Fire Department was dispatched Saturday afternoon to the Tioga Hotel in downtown Coos Bay for smoke coming from a residential apartment on the seventh floor. Firefighters  located two victims outside of the involved apartment who were transported to Bay Area Hospital.  One victim was listed in critical condition and flown to Legacy Emmanuel Hospital’s Burn Center in Portland, the other patient was in stable condition and released. Mutual aid was requested from both Charleston Rural Fire Protection District and North Bend Fire Department to aid in searching for any additional victims and to evacuate occupants from adjacent floors. The fire was isolated to the kitchen area of the apartment and caused from a cooking appliance that was placed on a range with a burner turned on.  Damage to the apartment has been estimated to be around $10,000.  The apartment did not have any working smoke detectors.

This entry was posted on Monday, November 5th, 2018 and is filed under Local News.