Unattended Wok Causes Fire at North Bend Safeway Deli


Employees at the North Bend Safeway Store have been allowed back into the store after a fire in the deli kitchen forced the evacuation of the building.  North Bend Fire Chief Mark Meaker said crews were able to suppress the fire within minutes after being called to scene around 12:40 this afternoon, but not before it had gotten into the ducting and roof of the structure.  Meaker says the fire started when employee filled a Wok heating on the stove with oil and walked away to take a smoke break. The stores fire sprinklers in three areas went off, however it took firefighters from North Bend, North Bay and Coos Bay to contain the fire and keep it from spreading throughout the store. The store sustained about $80-thousand dollars in damage. Fire crews allowed employees back into the store just before they cleared the scene at 3 o’clock. 

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 25th, 2019 and is filed under Local News.