Voters To Decide On Charleston Short Term Lodging Tax


Coos County Commissioners held the second reading of an ordinance that would create a 9-and-a-half percent short-term lodging tax for the Charleston area. The second reading and a motion will put the question to Coos County voters in November. The creation of the lodging tax for visitors who stay in motels and vacation rentals will benefit the county, Charleston Merchants and the Visitor and Convention Bureau. The county also approved the enforcement and collection of the tax at a meeting on Tuesday. If approved, 30 percent of the funds collected will go to the county for Code Enforcement. The remaining 70% will be split equally between the Merchants for building a new or renovating the current visitor center and the VCB for promotion and marketing. The tax is collected in Coos Bay and North Bend, but to date there has been no short-term lodging tax established for Charleston.
Photo Courtesy: Bay Area Chamber

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 5th, 2020 and is filed under Local News.